Tuesday, October 14, 2008

First Pumpkin!

Had to share my first carved pumpkin this year:

I found the template at the Associated Press political pumpkin pattern site
and was putting the finishing touches on Barack's ear about two hours later! I tried to find a pumpkin with a flat-ish side because the templates aren't really designed for round things.
I used lots of pins to hold the template in place, poked about 8,000,000 tiny holes around the edges of the pattern, carved the lines using a grapefruit knife, and carefully picked out the positive space using a paring knife. I'm thinking about trying to photoshop my own template of Biden grinning. I just love that smile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited that you continued writing in this - I was nervous that it had fallen by the wayside and I wouldn't get the glorious Laura-ness that I was craving. :-) The pumpkin looks magnificent, my dear - keep up the good work.

laura said...

aww, thank you!!