Saturday, February 25, 2012

Commence Cake Adventure!

One of my very best friends, Britany, is getting married in June, and asked if I would be interested in baking her wedding cake(s). Yes, yes, yes!

The past month or so I've been doing cursory research and adding photos to a pinterest board here. I've been reserving library books and studying blogs and websites. I've been trying to learn just how one goes about baking a 16", 14", or 12" cake without gooey centers or burnt edges, trying to find which recipes will hold up under what conditions, and attempting to figure how one stores enough cake for about 200 people without filling the fridge with 7 lbs of butter and 12 dozen eggs and more cakes than will fit.

I think I've only decided one thing. I won't be making a single 3 or 4 tier cake. The storage of 16" layers, inner support system, transportation, assembly, and unstacking/cutting of such a cake would be beyond my ability. So, my initial plan: make four beautiful, delicious, 12" round cakes.

I'm starting my recipe-testing today. At this point, I've decided stop reading and planning and just dive in to see what happens. Yesterday I purchased 2 lbs of butter, 2 dozen eggs, two 12" round cake pans, a cake leveler, meringue powder, and a rotating cake stand. Today, I'm making strawberry curd, lemon cake, and lemon buttercream.

Details and pictures to come!!

No comments: