Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Homemade mayonnaise

Ciabatta, tilapia, spinach, lemon, a hungry husband... but no mayo! What's a girl to do snowed in, craving a fish sandwich?

A quick search for homemade mayo and I found
this. Dylan has a mustard phobia, and I LOVE lemon, so here's my adjusted recipe for aioli (basically mayo with garlic):

1 egg yolk
1 tb fresh lemon juice

1 t white vinegar

1/2 t salt plus more to taste

3/4 c olive oil

1 t finely minced garlic


I used a whisk to beat all but the oil, then whisked in a quarter cup, one teaspoon or so at a time.

The last 1/2 c I drizzled and whisked in very slowly. This all took about 10 minutes, but by the end I had 3/4 cup of legitimate mayonnaise-like delicious sauce for our sandwiches. I'd nearly broken a sweat in our 62 degree kitchen and I'm sure burned at least as many calories as are in 3/4 c of olive oil ;).

Final product:

No comments: